Thursday, January 22, 2009

America's Duceppe Speaks

"The message we are sending around the world is that the United States intends to prosecute the ongoing struggle against violence and terrorism ... and we are going to do so in a manner consistent with our values and our ideals," Obama said.

"We are not going to continue with a false choice between our safety and our ideals."

With this statement on ideals, Obama reminded me of my favorite politician orator, Gilles Duceppe. Barack is making me like him - and I'm okay with that. Of course, no American politician is able to speak very eloquently without a prepared speech like a Canadian (or British, etc.) politician can, but he's certainly no Bush!

So what is this all about? I'm sure you've seen the news, unless you checked out the Globe and Mail website where they buried the story; Obama is ordering the closure of Gitmo! I'll no longer have to fear ending up there due to an error when I travel! It's pretty exciting news, check it out:

BBC News
Globe and Mail
Canada.com
CBC News


President Barack Obama puts his pen away after signing an executive order to close the Guantanamo Bay detention centre during a ceremony in the Oval Office at the White House on Thursday. Standing behind Obama are Vice-President Joe Biden and retired military officers. (Saul Loeb/AFP/Getty Images)

No comments: